SIM Virtual Professional Learning: Canvas Course
The Sentence Writing Strategies
Why would I want to teach the SIM Sentence Writing Strategies?
Each Sentence Writing Strategy has shown in research studies to produce substantial and socially significant gains in students’ writing performance.
Fundamentals in the Sentence Writing Strategy (for students in grades 2+) is a set of instructional lessons during which students will learn basic grammar terms as well as how to write and check several types of simple sentences. Instruction in Fundamentals in the Sentence Writing Strategy (FSW) is appropriate for students who need a thorough grounding in basic concepts and terms, such as "subject," "verb," or "infinitive." FSW can be used as a developmental writing curriculum or as a quick set of review lessons to improve students' understanding of these concepts.
Once students have that basic understanding, they may move on to Proficiency in the Sentence Writing Strategy (for students in grades 3+). With these lessons, you can teach students about clauses and the other advanced sentence structure elements. Together, these two Sentence Writing Strategies support students to recognize and write 14 sentence patterns with four types of sentences: simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex.
Register Anytime and Complete the Course at your own pace.
Course Price: $150 (*plus guidebooks)
Participants will receive the following materials as part of their registration: Access to the Fundamentals in Sentence Writing Course on Canvas, access to the Fundamentals in Sentence Writing Course on Canvas, access to digital teacher resources, and two one-hour follow-up coaching sessions.
Registration Step One: Fill out the Online Registration Form
Registration Step Two: Course Payment
- To pay by check or purchase order (PO), download the form (.doc)
- To pay by credit card, visit our online store or call our order desk, 785-864-4780, with your credit card information between 9 am and 4 pm CST.
Registration Step Three: Purchase Materials
- Instructor's Manual: Fundamentals in the Sentence Writing Strategy (sold through the KUCRL Online Store)
- Instructor's Manual: Proficiency in the Sentence Writing Strategy (sold through the KUCRL Online Store)
- Student Workbook: Fundamentals in the Sentence Writing Strategy (sold by the publisher, Edge Enterprises)
- Student Workbook: Proficiency in the Sentence Writing Strategy (sold by the publisher, Edge Enterprises)
Refund Policy: There will be no refunds issued for this course.
An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact the KU CRL Professional Development Research Institute, at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the document be made available in an accessible format.