SIM for Teachers
BUILDING LITERACY SKILLS FOR ALL LEARNERS
SIM encompasses more than 30 Learning Strategies that target specific learning difficulties—from identifying words in text to completing high-quality assignments on time—that impede your students’ literacy achievements. You can teach your students strategies that will help them to learn and perform independently.
Our Content Enhancement Routines are empowering in helping you to think deeply about the importance of your critical course content and teach it in ways that engage all students. Routines are practical tools that support your planning and teaching, regardless of your content specialty. They help low-achieving students improve their performance and challenge high-achieving students to stretch their academic muscles.
SIM Learning Strategies and Content Enhancement Routines are proven to help students build the literacy skills they need to perform well on state assessments and other important measures of achievement. In addition, you and your students can use the strategies and routines to respond successfully to the challenges presented by a district’s adoption of the Common Core State Standards.
SIM IN CLASSROOMS
UNDERSTANDING AND SOLVING PROBLEMS WITH SIM LEARNING STRATEGIES
Each SIM Learning Strategy targets a specific skill students need to master to succeed in school--from late elementary through college or university--and in their careers
- Learn how to learn: how to paraphrase critical information, picture information to aid in understanding and remembering, ask questions and make predictions while reading different kinds of texts, and identify unknown words in reading assignments.
- Prepare for tests: develop mnemonics and other devices to help memorize facts and learn new vocabulary.
- Express ideas and demonstrate knowledge: write sentences, paragraphs, and themes; monitor written work for errors; and confidently take tests.
EMPOWERING TEACHERS WITH SIM CONTENT ENHANCEMENT ROUTINES
Content Enhancement is an instructional method that uses powerful teaching devices to organize and present course information so that all students can understand and remember.
- Think about and organize content
- Explore text, topics, and details
- Teach complex concepts
- Help students complete their work